SFO Airport/Community Roundtable

Meeting No. 296 Overview

Wednesday, June 3, 2015




1.    Call to Order / Roll Call / Declaration of a Quorum Present


Roundtable Chairperson, Cliff Lentz, called the Regular Meeting of the SFO Airport / Community Roundtable to order, at approximately 7:10 p.m., in the David Chetcuti Community Room at the Millbrae City Hall.  James A. Castañeda, AICP, Roundtable Coordinator, called the roll.  A quorum (at least 12 Regular Members) was present as follows:



John Martin – City and County of San Francisco Airport Commission

Richard Newman – C/CAG Airport Land Use Committee (ALUC)

Cliff Lentz – City of Brisbane

Ricardo Ortiz – City of Burlingame

Raymond Buenaventura – City of Daly City

Steve Okamoto – City of Foster City

Deborah Ruddock – City of Half Moon Bay

Sue Digre – City of Pacifica

Ann Wengert – Town of Portola Valley

Rosanne Foust – City of Redwood City

Mark Addiego –  City of South San Francisco

David Burrow – Town of Woodside



City and County of San Francisco Board of Supervisors (Vacant)

City and County of San Francisco Mayor’s Office (Vacant)

County of San Mateo Board of Supervisors

Town of Atherton

City of Belmont

Town of Hillsborough

City of Menlo Park

City of Millbrae

City of San Bruno

City of San Carlos

City of San Mateo



Don Kirby – Northern California TRACON

Glenn Morse – United Airlines



James A. Castañeda, AICP – Roundtable Coordinator

Cindy Gibbs – Roundtable Technical Support (Consultant)

Harvey Hartmann – Roundtable Technical Support (Consultant)



Bert Ganoung, Noise Abatement Manager

Ara Balian, Noise Abatement Specialist

David Ong, Noise Abatement Specialist

John Hampel, Noise Abatement Specialist


2.    Public Comments on Items Not on the Agenda

A total of 18 members of the public spoke to express concern over aircraft noise over their communities. The communities represented were Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Socal, Los Gatos, Happy Valley, Pacifica, and South San Francisco. Concerns raised by those who spoke focused on increased non-stop aircraft noise over areas that didn’t previously experience noise, impact to quality of life, diminishing property value, funding for noise insulation, and lack of representation of other communities on the Roundtable. Some individuals offered technical suggestions for the FAA to consider in modification of the recent procedures, such as moving aircraft off a track and disperse traffic or return to the “Big Sur” procedure.


3.    Adoption of a Resolution in Recognition of Julian Chang

 This item was continued till the next Roundtable regular meeting.



4.         Review of Airport Director’s Reports for March and April 2015

5.         Review of Roundtable Regular Meeting Overview for February 4, 2015 and April 1, 2015




ACTION:  Rich Newman MOVED the approval of the Consent Agenda.  The motion was seconded by Rosanne Foust and CARRIED, unanimously.




6.    Review of SFO FlyQuiet Report Q2 2015


Bert Ganoung Noise Abatement Manager, provided an overview of the second quarter Fly Quiet report for 2015.




7.    Airport Director’s Comments


Airport Director John Martin, provided a brief update on the airport’s current operations.  Mr. Martin reiterated the airport’s acknowledgement and commitment to working with communities to address noise impacts as a result of the new flight procedures over their respective areas. He indicated that noise monitors are being deployed for the first time in Santa Cruz County, and the airport passenger traffic at SFO continues to grow at approximately 4-5%.





8.    Report, Departure and Arrivals Technical Working Group


Roundtable Technical Consultant Cindy Gibbs provided an overview of the Departure and Arrivals Technical Working Group meetings held in late April as outlined in the summary included in the meeting packet.


DISCUSSION: Town of Woodside representative David Burrow indicated that there was a lot of time spent educating at the meeting, and perhaps there’s a way to do a separate session to have more time to discuss technical details at these meetings. Ms. Gibbs suggested directing those new to the groups to the “Noise 101” materials posted on the website as one way to help towards that effort. Town of Portola Valley representative Ann Wengert supported coming up with new ways to educate participants, and expressed the Roundtable should be thinking about how to approach such.



9.    Update, FAA’s PORTE Departure Analysis


Noise Abatement Manager Bert Ganoung provided a brief update as to recent aircraft performance utilizing the PORTE departure. No new significant was reported. At future meetings, this item will be updated by reports from the Arrivals Technical Working Group.



10.  Update, Oceanic Arrivals over the Woodside VOR


Noise Abatement Manager Bert Ganoung provided a brief update on oceanic arrival flights over the Woodside VOR. He indicated that its improving. At future meetings, this item will be updated by reports from the Departure Technical Working Group.



11.  Update, Metroplex


Noise Abatement Manager Bert Ganoung indicated a new procedure overlay that has gone into effect- YOSEM. Staff will monitor the procedures as it utilized.


DISCUSSION:  Roundtable Chairperson Cliff Lentz asked if the procedure is in a review phase. Roundtable Technical Consultant Cindy Gibbs indicated staff will investigate if it is. Town of Woodside representative David Burrow asked for clarification as to what factors were considered in the developing the overlay. Ms. Gibbs indicated that the procedure was most likely reviewed for efficiency.


Ms. Gibbs pointed out two draft letters to the FAA regarding some of the positive impacts of the NIIGHT departure procedure, and the work that needs to be address regarding the SURFR arrival procedure.


ACTION:  Rich Newman MOVED acceptance of the two letters to send to the FAA.  The motion was seconded by Sue Digre and CARRIED, unanimously.




12.  Upcoming Work Program Subcommittee tasks


Roundtable Coordinator James Castañeda indicated that the Roundtable’s Work Program Subcommittee will need to convene over the summer to work on the Roundtable’s three year Strategic Plan, annual Work Plan, and annual budget. Roundtable members will be notified in the coming weeks.


13.  Airport Noise Briefing


Roundtable Aviation Technical Consultant Cindy Gibbs provided a brief industry update, including the litigation in progress with the Phoenix Metroplex Environmental Assessment and upcoming ACRP participation opportunities.


DISCUSSION: Town of Woodside David Burrow asked for an update regarding ABAG/RAPC discussing regional noise impacts (specifically regarding Palo Alto). Noise Abatement Manager Bert Ganoung their next meeting is scheduled for August, and will hopefully have an update.


14.  Member Communications / Announcements


C/CAG Airport Land Use Commission representative Rich Newman indicated this would be his last meeting.  He expressed appreciation for serving with the group, and wished the Roundtable good luck on its continuing mission. Chairperson Lentz commended Mr. Newman for his years of service to the Roundtable.


15.  Adjourn


The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:09 p.m.



Roundtable meeting overviews are considered draft until approved by the Roundtable at a regular meeting.